While I was single parenting it when Tim was in Canada for a week, Natalie decided to come down with Scarlatina. She had experienced a fever ten days earlier, but I didn't get the correlation until later. She had been waking up crying in the middle of the night, but wouldn't ever tell me what was going on. Her volcabulary is still limited so there are many times that she has to show me what she is talking about or just point. Two different nights, I gave her ibuprofen and then she slept through the rest of the night. I knew that she didn't feel very good, but couldn't put my finger on the problem. I was getting worried when she said her legs were "heavy" when she was walking up the stairs.
The doctor thought it looked like Scarlatina even though Natalie's throat didn't look like the typical strep throat. Scarletina is caused by the group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus bacteria. This was conciderably worrisome to me because this bacteria can settle in heart valves and cause serious problems-not something that we need to be dealing with.
So we left urgent care Sunday night with some Augmentin and started the first dose.
So we left urgent care Sunday night with some Augmentin and started the first dose.
Her rash progressively got worse-which I expected. Poor girl had what looked like a terrible case of eczema all over her arms and legs. The rash left her torso and settled into her hands and feet by Tuesday. It was dark red and felt like sandpaper. She itched really bad. I treated that mostly with topical hydrocortisone and Benadryl.
Thursday, Natalie woke up with hives all over her face and the left side of her body. Talk about itching...she was just a trooper and didn't complain, but I could see her constantly scratching her arms and legs. Back to the clinic we went and her Augmentin was changed to Azithromycin. That one did the trick and now she is back to her normal active self. (She's getting into everything and irritating her sisters.)
Thursday, Natalie woke up with hives all over her face and the left side of her body. Talk about itching...she was just a trooper and didn't complain, but I could see her constantly scratching her arms and legs. Back to the clinic we went and her Augmentin was changed to Azithromycin. That one did the trick and now she is back to her normal active self. (She's getting into everything and irritating her sisters.)
Poor girl! Looks miserable! That picture of her back reminds me of Gavin. Every year about now he breaks out in hives like that when the seasons change (allergies I think?) and its no fun at all. Keep us updated after the cardio appt.- we're going on May 5th and I'm a little anxious as well to see how T is doing. She's definitely more out of breath and blue lately.
ReplyDeleteOh Natalie! Ouch!!! Hope she's on the mend now :) Wow, I never knew the scare of this illness and the heart. I'm learning more everyday of what can "attack" the heart and it's scary! Especially when you only have 1/2 of one!
ReplyDeleteLet us know how the appt. goes. Maddie's cath has now been moved up to the 11th of May, so there's an opening on June 3rd now if she needs it!!! Ha!
Katie
PS- loved the pictures of the kids on your last couple of posts! Craig is getting so big!!! Wow, can't believe he's already 5 months old. Sure is a cutie. Hugs to you all!
I can't believe how much Natalie's hair has grown. I am glad to hear that things are better now. That must have been miserable for both of you.
ReplyDelete