Saturday, January 21, 2012

Our Lisping, Toothless, Seven-Year-Old

Posted by Picasa

January is Jessica's month.  She's a lisping, toothless, seven-year-old now.  I just find first graders so cute.  They are so proud of their missing teeth.  When Jessie's top front teeth started to get the slightest bit loose, she was obsessed.  She had to get them out.  The first one came out before Christmas and the second one came out right before her birthday.  She wiggled and wiggled them.  My girl that freaks out about getting her fingernails cut wanted be to twist that thing around until it cracked and came out!  She's one that when she sets her mind to doing something, you're not going to stop her!

This year, we travelled into Anchorage for her birthday.  We spent the weekend at her Aunt Mindy's house and I had the "privilege" of buying her a birthday cake.  I welcomed the break from creating masterpieces.  It was a special occasion for Jess to pick out her cake.  She picked an ice cream cake with lots of sprinkles!  After we all sampled it, she relayed her disappointment in how it tasted.  I guess homemade "takes the cake."

Her major birthday gift was going to H2Oasis, Alaska's only indoor waterpark.  I think it's the only waterpark, period.  It was just amazing to think that we could be playing in 80 degree water when it was      -10F outside.  (Anchorage is always warmer than we are in the interior.)  The kids had a blast playing in the water.  I didn't get any good pictures because I was afraid of bringing out my camera.  Craig was afraid of the water.  I was hoping that he would have liked it more, but to my knowledge, he hasn't been in water any deeper than the bathtub.  We are going to have to work on that!  Natalie wore a whole bodysuit.  I was hoping that she would stay warm, but her lips were still purple.  There is just no way that she can be in water and not turn color.  She loved "swimming" and didn't want to quit.  I'm hoping that there is hope for Craig as he gets older.

Jessica has worked really hard in first grade this year.  She reads by memory so she has to work extra hard in reading, but she's like her Daddy and can do wonders in math.  I've been told by her teachers that she is very competitive.  Really?  Of course she is...she always has been competing with her older sister!  Jess is in a class that is very active and demands a lot of TLC.  Her God-given competitiveness and determination are just what she needs to survive there.

Jessie got a new room-mate this fall.  Heidi was complaining about how Natalie always wanted to be in their room so I decided to do a swap.  Heidi went to Craig's room and Natalie moved into the lower bunk under Jessie.  It's been a good switch.  Jess has become the "big sister" instead of the tag-along and she "pre-schools" Natalie when she gets home from school.  It's been fun seeing Jessie taking the initiative to play with Natalie.  She looks so proud when she takes the role of teacher.  As Natalie has grown up, her interest in playing with the older girls has grown so she soaks up the extra attention for Jess when she gets it.

Sporting events draw our little social bug.  Jessica competed in her first year of Little Dribblers Basketball this year.  It was so fun to watch her.  She was all over that court trying to get the ball.  She's a whole head shorter than her competitors but that doesn't slow her down from trying.  Her little package is very athletic with speed and agility unlike others her age.  She's become a great little ball handler so I see point guard in her future.  I just can't wait to see what she's going to do in years to come!
Jess, you are loved bunches and bunches.  You bring smiles to our faces and joy to our hearts.  We look forward to watching what God will do in your life in the upcoming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment